Towards Carfree Cities IV - Press Coverage
- Berlin 2004 - Introduction - Programme - Programme Details - Conference Speakers - List of presentations - Press Coverage - Video Night
The Towards Carfree Cities IV conference and carfree topics in general were widely covered in German newspapers, radio and on the internet. One unhappy coincidence was the fact that co-organiser Markus Heller's carfree project "Autofreies Stadtviertel an der Panke" was shot down by the Berlin Senate during the conference, in favour of giving the site to the Bundesnachrichtendienst, the German CIA. (More information at "Carfree Quarter At The Panke: Project description - Summary > Planning conditions: legislation concerning the site, political situation & current state".)
World Carfree Network released two press releases prior to the conference:
- "The world's urban planners and NGOs meet in Berlin to conceive cities without cars"
- "Towards Carfree Cities IV Conference lands in Berlin"
The following media outlets (most in German) reported on "Towards Carfree Cities" conference:
- "Thema des Tages - Konferenz zu autofreien Städten," die taz (tageszeitung), Montag, 19.07.2004
- "Bike are cool ,too," die taz (tageszeitung), Monday, 19.07.2004
Starting today, the 'Towards Carfree Cities IV' conference presents "practical alternatives to car dependence." The World Carfree Network wants to make living without a car normal again.
- Radio programme "Umwelt und Landwirtschaft" ("Envrionment and Agriculture"), Deutschlandfunk, Monday, 19.07.04 Uhr
Report by Dieter Nürnberger, interviews with Ralph Herbertz, Geographer/Cologne;
Markus Heller, Architect/Berlin; Stephan von Pohl, World Carfree Network/Prague. (Stream no longer available)
- "Carfree living gains favour," netzeitung.de, Tuesday, 20.07.2004
- Living without a car - Experiences from London and Berlin - Berlin is currently hosting an international conference about carfree cities," Neues Deutschland, Friday, 23.07.2004
- Park Your Ride, alternet.org, Wednesday, 04.08.2004
Description of World Carfree Day and Towards Carfree Cities IV
- BFBC on location in Berlin, Bicycle Friendly Times, Sept/Oct 2004, page 3
Report on conference and Ecotopia biketour
The following reports appeared about the "Autofreie Stadtviertel an der Panke" (all in German):
- "The Opportunity has Passed" Demand and investors exist, but Berlin still has no city quarter for carfree living. Projects are delayed and derailed. Only 'car-lite' areas have been completed.
- "Site chosen for Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) in Berlin," Press release of the Berlin Government (Senate). Tuesday, 20.07.2004
- "City must develop alternative for BND site," Press release of the Bündnis 90/Die Grünen in reaction to the preceding press release concerning the Senate's disastrous decision. Tuesday, 20.07.2004
- "The Spies are coming: BND to move to Berlin by 2008 - Senate agrees to future site at the former Stadium of World Youth," Der Tagesspiegel, Wednesday, 21.07.2004
- "Timeline - Construction for 4,000 agents," Der Tagesspiegel, Wednesday, 21.07.2004
- "...and?" taz (die tageszeitung), Wednesday, 21.07.2004
- "Decided: BND moves to Berlin - Senate approves Chausseestraße site," Berliner Zeitung, Wednesday, 21.07.2004
- "Senate: Bundesnachrichtendienst to move to Berlin-Mitte," Potsdamer Neueste Nachrichten, Wednesday, 21.07.2004
- "Senate confirms: BND to move to Chausseestraße - Mitte," Berliner Morgenpost, Wednesday, 21.07.2004 (website update 10 june 2008)
- "The BND is coming," Berliner Zeitung, Wednesday, 21.07.2004
- "Senate confirms: BND to move to Chausseestraße," Die Welt, Thursday, 22.07.2004
- Radio programme "This nice week," Radio1, Friday, 23.07.2004
Volker Wieprecht interviews Markus Heller, architect/Berlin (broadcase 13:12-13:18) - Real Player 3,5 MB (Interview begins at 1:10 min.).