Seminars and conferences
- The Towards Carfree Cities conference series aims to bring together people who are promoting practical alternatives to car dependence. The focus is on strategy, collaboration and exchange, assisting the practical work of conference participants - whether it be organising carfree days, promoting urban cycling, or building the carfree cities of the future. Past conferences have been held in Lyon, Timisoara, Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Bogota, Istanbul and Portland. The 2010 conference and WCN AGM were held in York, England.
The Towards Carfree Cities X Conference will be held in Guadalajara, Mexico, from 5 to 9 September 2011.
project coordinator: Jesús Carlos Soto -
- A capacity building Youth Exchange for young NGO leaders interested in equality, environment, urban planning and sustainable transport took place on 23-26 June in York, England. Participants discovered new ways of understanding and working with transport issues in their home cities and developed their thoughts around the topic.
project coordinator: ICC - firstname.lastname@example.org
- WCN Europe organized a Grassroots Capacity Building Seminar in Prague, November 4–6, 2009. 3E by WCNE was a capacity building seminar for European NGOs to equip, encourage and empower citizens to take a more active role in both their local and global communities. This 3-day seminar consisted of capacity building, workshops, presentations and facilitated discussions, and was immediately followed by the Network’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2009 and network development meeting.
- In May 2006, World Carfree Network organised a youth exchange in Tabor, Czech Republic, focused on leadership development and skills exchange among young people involved in the carfree movement.
- In September 2006, World Carfree Network organised a youth exchange in Bogota, Colombia, focused on learning from Bogota's projects and programmes that have improved public transport, improved cycling infrastructure, built parks and public space, and reduced social exclusion.
- In 2004, World Carfree Network coordinated the application process for the distribution of US$50,000 from a private donor. Out of nearly 50 submissions, 10 alternative transport advocacy groups worldwide each received $5,000. Similar opportunities will be sought in the future, but may be limited to network Member Organisations.